Can Head Lice Live In Beards: Firstly what are head lice? Any infection by head lice, pubic lice or body lice is called Pediculosis. Head lice are ectoparasites of humans that live on the scalp on the human head and suck blood. Head lice infestation is the most common among small school children but adult humans can contract it as well.
Head lice have six legs and their legs are quite short making it hard for them to jump, even walking around on the scalp could pose a big problem for them. They can’t fly too.
Head lice that are, the species of the lice that live on the head, has the scientific name, Pediculus humanus capitis. Head lice are very different from pubic lice and body lice. Head lice don’t cause an infection but the only problem Head lice can cause is a cosmetic problem rather than a medical problem like body lice. Head lice can result in scalp itching too.
So can head lice live in beards?
- 1 So can head lice live in beards?
- 2 Can head lice live in short hair?
- 3 Can head lice live on body hair?
- 4 Do head lice live in pillows?
- 5 How do I know if I have body lice, beard lice or head lice? What are some symptoms?
- 6 How to get rid of lice in your beard, body hair or head?
- 6.1 1. Consult your doctor
- 6.2 2. If you don’t have access to a doctor, you can try combing and nitpicking
- 6.3 3. Use products with Pyrethrins or Pyrethrum
- 6.4 4. Get Permethrin lotions like Nix
- 6.5 How do you use this?
- 6.6 5. Ladibugs one and done lice treatment Kit
- 6.7 6. Lice Treatment Kit by Lice Clinics of America
- 6.8 7. Lice Treatment Kit| Shampoo, Repellant leave-in Cream & Two Combs| Kills lice, Super Lice & Nits| Repels & Prevents| Pesticide free|100% natural| Tea Tree +Coconut oil + Aloe vera
- 6.9 8. Clean all items that might have come in contact with an infected person.
- 6.10 What causes lice infestation in the different body areas like head, pubic and body?
- 7 Can you feel lice in your body hair, head or beard?
- 8 How to check for lice
- 9 What do you need the person to do?
- 10 Home remedies for lice
- 11 How to avoid getting lice
- 12 Conclusion on Can Head Lice Live In Beards
So, maybe you know someone around you who just got Head lice infestation and you want to be sure if Head lice can live in beards since you have beards.
The answer is yes, head lice can live in beards.
Head lice are very specific in the type of hair they live in. There is a reason why they are called “Head” lice. Their structural adaptation is for the head and scalp and also the head’s hair. And even if they stay in your beard, they really can’t cope there for long.
If you happen to find a head louse or two in your beard, just pick them out, blow dry, after washing thoroughly with strong shampoo.
Can head lice live in short hair?
Yes, they can.
Head lice can live in short hair very well. Although they usually tend to go for longer hair, that doesn’t mean that people with short hair are immune to them.
Head lice generally don’t give much of a care to hairstyles or hair length. They usually attach themselves 1/4 inches away from your scalp and that is a really really low length as you can see. Unless of course, you don’t have any hair on your head and then I must say you are pretty much free from head lice infestation.
So, yes, Head lice can live in short hair very well.
Can head lice live on body hair?
No. Head lice cannot live on body hair at all.
Head lice need fresh blood from the scalp to survive, it also needs enough hair to cling to. Head lice can only live on the head, scalp and the head’s hair.
It needs enough hair to cling to whereas, crab lice or pubic lice, on the other hand, might be found in body hair, chest hair, or facial hair.
Do head lice live in pillows?
Head lice cannot survive outside a human host for more than 24 hours before they die.
So, yes they can stay in pillows but that is until they find a human to attach themselves to and then find their way to the scalp.
If you know you live with someone with a head lice infestation, you might want to stay away from sharing pillows and pillowcases with them. Why? Because head lice can definitely lurk in pillows.
Read more on Almond Oil For Beard Growth
How do I know if I have body lice, beard lice or head lice? What are some symptoms?
So how do you know if you have got head lice infestation? What are some of the symptoms that you have?
You can start to feel itchiness in your beard, head and scalp as a result of lice bites. Although, when you first get lice infestation with maybe one or two lice in your scalp, you might not feel anything as they got plenty, there is a tendency for your body to develop an allergic reaction to the bites and thus itching can be an allergic reaction to lice bites and infestation.
So, one symptom you should look out for when trying to know if you’ve got lice infestation should be, is the hair on your head being irritatingly itchy? If it is, then it is time to watch out for possible lice!
2. Tickly feeling
Another symptom that you might have got lice is having a tickly feeling or feeling like something is moving in your hair. This is also characteristic of other types of lice infestation including body and pubic lice infestation. This is due to their movement in your hair.
Another sign that you have lice in your head is when you scratch the itchy parts in your scalp, and sores start to develop due to the scratching. Then you know that perhaps, lice have been biting and sucking your blood and you have been scratching it and now, you have sores as a result of the scratching.
4. Another symptom of lice infestation is when you spot nits that are, lice eggs in your hair.
These nits are small lice eggs that when left, and when in favourable conditions, will hatch into tiny lice and grow. They are tiny and white. So you know that once you spot these things in your hair, then definitely some lice infestation has been going on. Start treatment immediately.
How to get rid of lice in your beard, body hair or head?
After reading the symptoms of possible lice infestation and then maybe you think you have it. The next thing to think about is if you can cure it. Yes, you can cure it. If you are not too sure that you have a lice infestation, you might want to visit your doctor for a proper diagnosis. So, how do you get rid of lice? What are some medications you can use to get rid of this irritating infestation?
1. Consult your doctor
It is very dangerous to self-prescribe or self-medicate, but if you think you have lice infestation, then just go see your doctor for proper evaluation. If after evaluation, your doctor says you have lice, then they will prescribe medications for you to use. So, the first step in treating lice infestation is to see your doctor. Your doctor will guide you on medication use.
2. If you don’t have access to a doctor, you can try combing and nitpicking
There is a special comb called Nit Free Terminator, which you can buy on Amazon here.
You can use it to comb your hair. You will need to divide your hair into sections and comb thoroughly. This is efficient in removing head lice and the nits. You can remove all the nits and the lice in your hair and scalp through the use of this tool and a mirror. You can also use the help of another person for this.
3. Use products with Pyrethrins or Pyrethrum
Products with these two ingredients like the Rid lice killing shampoo are very effective in killing and in getting rid of lice in the hair. You can buy the Rid lice killing shampoo here on Amazon, it works amazingly well!
4. Get Permethrin lotions like Nix
Permethrin is the active ingredient in products like Nix which you can buy from Amazon here.
Permethrin works as well as Pyrethrin works to attack lice.
How do you use this?
After shampooing your hair and while it is still damp, add enough of the Nix lotion to your hair and let it sit in for at least 10 minutes. Then rinse it out and comb thoroughly. Remember that when combing, you should divide your hair into sections then use the Nit Free Terminator Comb suggested above to comb through your hair. It is important to comb your hair out after application.
5. Ladibugs one and done lice treatment Kit
Hair lice are uncomfortable, causing itching and even pain and prevent victims from returning to their normal daily activities until the infestation is gone.
The ladibugs one and done lice treatment kit is non-chemically produced and is very effective in the treatment of lice as well as perfect for those who desire a one-time solution.
Over the years many lice have become immune to the ingredients and chemicals contained in drug stores and over the counter products but largely the natural ingredients in ladibugs one and done lice treatment kit are completely safe perfect for use in eliminating nits and helping prevent re-infestation.
The features of this lice treatment that makes it exceptionally effective in the treatment of lice infestation are listed below;
- Complete lice removal kit: It has been proven effective for total lice elimination with a refined method used daily.
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee: If lice are not eliminated after following instructions and subsequent comb-outs contact ladibugs and you will be walked through the process/ or refund your purchases
- Works on super lice: lice are increasing resistance to chemical-based treatments but with pesticides, ladibugs works on super lice
- Easy 3- step process: First, the natural mint serum eliminates lice. The mousse dissolves the glue of the nit, which allows the ladibugs comb to free nits from the hair.
No Yucky Chemicals: All-natural essential oil-based, pesticide-free, vegan, sulphate-free, paraben-free and phthalate-free hair treatment.
Steps for Usage
Step One: Mint Serum
Ladibugs Mint serum is a natural product for head lice elimination which suffocates any live bugs. Shake well and apply to dry hair. Let it sit in hair for 15 minutes and wash out. Then….
Step Two: Mousse
Ladibugs mousse is designed to prevent a re-infestation by eliminating the nit and egg. Apply to damp hair. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Reapply mousse and wait an additional 5 minutes. Then….
Step Three: Comb Them out
The Ladibugs lice comb uses a layer of staggered length effectively to remove both lice and nits, creating less drag on the hair while combing. The handle with ridges helps with gripping control when hands are slippery during lice treatment comb out.
- There are no yucky chemicals used in the production of ladibugs lice treatment kit
- The process of using this lice treatment kit is very easy and simple yet very effective
- It helps to eliminate super lice that have proven to be resistant to chemical-based treatments
- It has proven effective for total lice elimination.
It seems quite costly but the effectiveness makes the price considerate
6. Lice Treatment Kit by Lice Clinics of America
The lice clinics of America helps you to get read of the stubborn lice on your hair or beard.
The lice treatment kit by lice clinics of America helps end the frustration and inconvenience of lice so you can focus on other activities and other aspects of your life without disturbances arising from the itchiness of lice infestation.
This lice removal kit is developed through years of research to treat lice effectively and safely.
Benefits of Using Lice Treatment Kit
- It is safe, non-toxic and pesticide-free
- Effectively treats lice and super lice
- Easy for both adults and teenagers
The features of the lice treatment kit that makes it especially effective for use in treating lice infestation is listed below;
- Free lice treatment guarantee: With this product, you are sure that your satisfaction is guaranteed or you get your money back, there are no two ways about it.
- Effective Against Lice & Super lice: The included liquid gel kills lice as well as super lice and it’s more effective than traditional pesticides head lice shampoo treatments.
- Complete Kit: The Kit includes everything needed for effective head lice treatment and lice removal, easy-to-use, no-mess applicator 5.25 oz. liquid gel, and premium metal head lice comb.
- Pleasant scent: The included liquid gel has a great fresh pear blossom scent that every user will love.
- It eliminates viable eggs in 2 applications, even if eggs are missed in comb out.
- It is very effective and safe to use.
- It includes enough gel for 2 applications; may need refill bottle for long/thick hair.
- It is safe and non-toxic
- It is effective against lice as well as super lice
It leaves hair greasy
7. Lice Treatment Kit| Shampoo, Repellant leave-in Cream & Two Combs| Kills lice, Super Lice & Nits| Repels & Prevents| Pesticide free|100% natural| Tea Tree +Coconut oil + Aloe vera
Lice combat came about by thinking of ways to permanently get rid of lice and nits present on the hair or the beard.
Multiple brands of lice treatment products rely on chemicals and pesticides as their active ingredient to eliminate lice. Not only are these products not as effective but they also expose the body and hair to many chemicals.
The lice combat treatment is very effective in the treatment of lice in the hair or beards which constitutes discomfort to the body.
The lice combat cream has been prepared to meet the most essential needs of the users in combating hair lice on the beards.
The features of the live combat cream which makes it extremely effective and the best choice for all users are listed below:
- Lice Free guarantee: Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back. The products are unforgiving on lice and nits yet safe and pleasant on hair
- 100% natural with aloe vera, tea tree oil and other essential oils hence they are very safe for use.
- Lice Shampoo– No Rinse Repellent Cream and Two Lice Combs: This lice treatment is the most complete lice treatment kit in the market. The 16 oz. shampoo bottle with a twist-top cap to reach through dense hair to the scalp. The 16 oz. leave-inn cream with pump dispenser always provides the right amount for daily prevention. The two-set exclusive “hammerhead” lice comb for different hair lengths, with metallic spiral micro-grooved teeth to remove even the tiniest nits from the hair.
- Easy 4- Step Process: Apply shampoo (10 minutes) comb thoroughly, Rinse hair and apply leave-in-cream.
Steps to Use
- Apply shampoo in abundance on dry hair to cover all parts
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Comb out lice and crush them with a specifically designed hammerhead. Wipe the comb every time with a tissue paper, it is easier to see the lice
- Now you have a lice-free beard
- For best results, repeat for 2 more consecutive days
- Use the leave-in cream on dry or damp hair before going to out for daily activities
- Pump enough leave-in cream so you can spread all over
- It saves you a lot of money because one kit is enough for at least ten treatments
- It is non-toxic and pesticide-free hence it is relatively safe for use
- The steps for application and use is very easy and simple
8. Clean all items that might have come in contact with an infected person.
Items like pillows, combs, bedspreads, and clothes should be washed and inspected thoroughly for any lurking lice or nits. Prevention is definitely better than cure, so make sure that your environment is very free from any source of lice or nits and you are indirectly keeping yourself and your loved ones safe from lice infestation. Do a thorough housekeep and cleaning.
What causes lice infestation in the different body areas like head, pubic and body?
Head lice are contagious that is, head lice infestation can be spread from person to person. One thing that can cause head lice infestation is sharing personal items like comb, towels, pillows, and clothes with someone that has been infected. Also, head-to-head contact with someone that has been infected can cause lice to crawl into the recipient’s hair. Lice crawl, so they crawl from the infected person’s head to the new recipient’s head and grow there.
Can you feel lice in your body hair, head or beard?
Yes. It is possible for you to feel lice crawling in your hair. Infact, one of the symptoms that you may have contacted lice is that you feel a crawling sensation in your hair. And then, if you can feel a crawling sensation in your beard, then that is a good sign that you can feel lice. So, yes, you can feel lice crawling through your hair but it will probably be just a tickling sensation.
How to check for lice
You obviously can’t check for lice by yourself. It is going to be very hard for you to thoroughly examine your hair for lice by yourself. But you can get someone else to help you with this.
What do you need the person to do?
Tell the person to divide your hair into sections and to look near the scalp. Lice are commonly found a half to a quarter of an inch from the scalp. Once the person spots a small crawling object that is grey to white in colour, then that is a louse. The person should immediately pull it out of course. Look through the whole hair this way.
Home remedies for lice
Apart from searching for chemicals that could kill lice instantly. There are also some home ingredients that are in your kitchen that can definitely work in killing lice. Some of them are;
The aim of using mayonnaise on the hair is in hopes that, it will suffocate the lice and kill the nits.
How to apply.
Use the mayonnaise to cover your entire head from scalp to the hair tip. Then, use a shower cap to cover your hair overnight. The next morning, wash out the mayonnaise using a dishwashing soap several times. And used a lice picking comb to comb through your own hair.
2. Coconut oil
Use solid white coconut oil. Though this works just as effectively as mayonnaise, in trapping the lice in the hair and keeping oxygen out, thereby effectively suffocating them. Also, the solid coconut oil has a natural and tropical smell that is pleasant to the nostrils. Try it!
3. Blow drying
Blow drying is an effective way of killing nits which are lice eggs in your hair before they hatch and turn into adult lice. Set your blowdryer to the highest setting and blow.
How to avoid getting lice
Just like the popular saying goes, “prevention is better than cure”. You can avoid contacting lice by taking some simple preventive measures like;
1. Avoid sharing items that involve a lot of head contact with another person
Items like scarves, towels, combs, hair clips, headsets, brushes helmets and so on. Because these things have close contact with the head and they can cause the transfer of lice.
2. Try to reduce the amount of head-to-head contact you have with other people
You really can’t tell from a person’s look if they have lice or not, but you certainly can stop having head to head contact with people. This is so as to reduce your risk of contracting lice. Stay careful and vigilant.
Conclusion on Can Head Lice Live In Beards
The original question you asked if head lice can live in beards is what led to this explanatory article on head lice. What we concluded on in this article, is that Head lice cannot live in beards. It is not their natural habitat and also beards hair might be more difficult for them to navigate through than in the scalp. The type of lice most likely to get into the beard is the body lice and the pubic lice, which is also known as Crab lice. Head lice infestation is very preventable and also very curable too.
Read more articles here: