How to do laser hair removal at home: You want to do laser hair removal at home but you are confused about how to do it? Don’t worry you just open the right content. This content will not only educate you but also guide you on how to do laser hair removal at home.
Right now your mind is all set for a smooth solution to body hair, you don’t want to shave, cream and wax again? I’m sure you want to start zapping right now. If you have tried different types of laser hair removal and none of it is working, don’t give up yet this content will give you the full guide and knowledge on how to go about it.
This content won’t just guide you on how to do laser hair removal at home, it will also educate you on different types of laser hair removal device and the “Do and Don’ts” when doing laser hair removal at home.
Now let’s get into the real deal, continue reading below to get all full details.
Does laser hair removal at home hurt?
- 1 Does laser hair removal at home hurt?
- 2 Types of home user hair removal device you can use?
- 2.1 Tria beauty hair removal laser
- 2.2 SmoothSkin Gold 300 Intelligent IPL Hair Removal System
- 2.3 Lumix IPL Hair Removal Device, Mini
- 2.4 Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System
- 2.5 Silk’n Flash&Go – At Home Permanent Hair Removal
- 2.6 Remington iLIGHT Pro Plus Quartz At-Home IPL Hair Removal
- 2.7 Me My Elos Touch 150,000 Pulses IPL RF Hair Removal System model 2014 by Tanda
- 2.8 Silk’n Sensepil – Professional Grade, At Home Permanent Hair Removal Device
- 2.9 Sense light Mini 100 Permanent Hair Removal Device
- 2.10 DEESS hair removal beauty kit series 3 plus, 3 in 1
- 2.11 Braun IPL Hair Removal for Women, Silk Expert Pro 3 PL 3111 with Venus Smooth Razor
- 2.12 Braun Silk Expert Pro 5 PL5137 with Venus Swirl Razor, FDA Cleared Permanent Reduction in Hair Regrowth for Body and Face
- 2.13 Iluminage: Touch at Home Permanent Hair Reduction Device
- 2.14 Philips Lumea BG 9041 for Men, IPL Hair Removal Offering Permanently Smooth skin
- 3 How to do laser hair removal at home
- 4 The Dos And Don’ts Of Laser Hair Removal
- 4.1 Dos
- 4.2 1. Shave in between treatments
- 4.3 2. Avoid sun exposure and lay off the fake tan.
- 4.4 3. Wear a high factor SPF
- 4.5 4. Exfoliate the area gently
- 4.6 Don’t
- 4.7 1. Do not apply heavy makeup for 24 hours
- 4.8 2. Do not replicate, or wax your hair in during treatments
- 4.9 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers on How to do laser hair removal at home
- 4.9.1 How often can you laser hair removal at home?
- 4.9.2 Can you use at-home laser hair removal in the pubic area?
- 4.9.3 Can I shave the day of laser hair removal?
- 4.9.4 Does hair grow back thicker after laser hair removal?
- 4.9.5 What are the negatives of laser hair removal?
- 4.9.6 What should I expect after my first laser hair removal?
- 4.9.7 Is It OK to pluck hair after laser?
- 4.9.8 Can I tweeze after laser hair removal?
- 4.9.9 How long after laser hair removal will I see results?
- 4.9.10 Can I do laser hair removal by myself
- 4.9.11 How often should I do laser hair removal at home
- 4.9.12 Is at-home laser hair removal painful?
- 4.9.13 Best laser removal you can use in 2020
- 4.9.14 Remington iLIGHT Pro
- 4.9.15 DEESS Permanent Hair Removal
I’m sure you want to know if this will hurt or not. The answer is “YES”, it hurt but not as much as you are imagining right now. It will hurt you but not much. You will feel a kind of sensation like that which happens when a plastic band going against your skin and also it can be compared to that electric shock you get when you touch the handrail on escalators.
You will surely feel uncomfortable when the skin tends to be more sensitive such as along your bikini line and top lip, when you continue and the hair decreases then the feeling and the pain will diminish.
Types of home user hair removal device you can use?
Tria beauty hair removal laser
This works so well. I’ve used it for 6 weeks and more than 75% of the hair is gone. Highly recommend. It does hurt a bit on the level 5 setting but can turn down the intensity. I found waxing to be much more uncomfortable. So by that comparison, as it’s permanent, it’s 100% win
SmoothSkin Gold 300 Intelligent IPL Hair Removal System
It’s really working! I was hairy on my chest, torso, and legs. I’ve been doing once a week for almost a month and my skin is smoother and much less hair growing back! I strongly feel I’ll have almost no hair if I continue for a few more months. I’m so glad that I bought this product.
Lumix IPL Hair Removal Device, Mini
For years, I have been wanting to laser treat the hair on my underarms and bikini area. I considered buying one of those groups to get this done, but never did. When I saw this home treatment at a reasonable price, I had to try it. I did 3 treatments on both my underarms and bikini area. It’s been 2 weeks since I finished my treatments, and my hair has not grown back!! The instructions are easy to follow and the treatments only take about 10 minutes each. It does hurt at first, so you may want to start at the lowest level (level 1), but by your 3rd treatment, it doesn’t hurt as much. I would definitely recommend this product, so happy there is an at-home option available!!
Philips Lumea Comfort IPL Hair Removal System
I really think this gizmo works! All the years struggling with hair removal for not. I will never spend a fortune waxing again. And, no pain.
Silk’n Flash&Go – At Home Permanent Hair Removal
This device has been amazing. Noticeable difference after the second use!!! I am now 3 uses in and there is barely any hair growing back. I HIGHLY recommend this product! So worth my investment.
Remington iLIGHT Pro Plus Quartz At-Home IPL Hair Removal
I am happy with the results. But you must “commit” to the product and use it over and over again in order to get good results. Still cheaper than going to a spa for treatments. Some areas are a bit awkward to get to and you have to be a contortionist to cover them all, but it DOES Work if given the time and dedication.
Me My Elos Touch 150,000 Pulses IPL RF Hair Removal System model 2014 by Tanda
Silk’n Sensepil – Professional Grade, At Home Permanent Hair Removal Device
Sense light Mini 100 Permanent Hair Removal Device
I can see the difference before and after. Really convincing. I try many hair lasers before but this one works and I can see it. Easy to use and doesn’t hurt. I will use it until the hair is no more growing
DEESS hair removal beauty kit series 3 plus, 3 in 1
I totally freak in impressed by this. 3 weeks in. I fretted over which one to buy for WEEKS. THIS is what my fellow dark chin hair having mama’s need.
Braun IPL Hair Removal for Women, Silk Expert Pro 3 PL 3111 with Venus Smooth Razor
The Braun silk expert pro 3 is the latest generation of the Braun hair removal machines series 3. It ensures permanent hair reduction in just 3 months of use. The Braun IPL hair removal is safe, clinically and dermatologically tested and accredited as skin safe by a leading international skin health organization (skin health alliance).
The pro 3 version is the only IPL that automatically and continuously adapts to the skin tone for a safe and effective visible permanent hair removal. The IPL comes with a precision head to tackle smaller areas like the face, bikini line or underarm.
It allows you to get results 2 times faster than previous silk experts. The SensoAdapt sensor (with UV protection) continuously reads the skin tone and adapts the flash intensity for a safe and effective permanent hair reduction.
The features of the Braun IPL that make it stand out among other IPL machines are listed below;
- It is the safest IPL technology clinically tested and dermatologically accredited as skin safe by international skin health organization (skin health alliance)
- Smart IPL technology with SensoAdapt skin sensor (with UV Protection), it is the only IPL technology that automatically and continuously adapts to your skin tone
- Fast treatment, it can treat both legs in just 9 minutes at the lowest energy level. It is 2 times faster than previous silk expert 3.
- New compact design, 15% smaller and 25% lighter for easy handling and effortless treatment
- 300,000 flashes,20% more than previous silk expert 3
What’s In the Package?
- Precision head
- Premium bag
- Venus razor
Braun Silk Expert Pro 5 PL5137 with Venus Swirl Razor, FDA Cleared Permanent Reduction in Hair Regrowth for Body and Face
The Braun silk expert Pro 5 is the safest, fastest and most efficient IPL for permanent visible hair reduction. It is dermatologically accredited as skin safe by a leading international skin health organization working with dermatologists and scientists.
The SensoAdapt sensor (with UV protection) continuously reads the skin tone and adapts the flash intensity for safest and most effective permanent visible hair reduction. It comes with a precision head to tackle the smaller areas such as the face, bikini line or underarms. New compact design that is 15% smaller and 25% lighter for easy handling and effortless treatment. It delivers 400,000 flashes, 30% more than previous silk expert 5.
The features of the Braun silk expert 5 Pro include;
- It is Braun’s latest generation IPL. The safest, fastest and most effective and efficient IPL
- It gives a permanent hair reduction in just 4 weeks
- It is the safest IPL technology, clinically tested and dermatologically accredited as skin safe by international Skin health organization ( skin health alliance)
- Smart IPL with SensoAdapt skin sensor ( with UV protection)
- It is the only IPL technology that automatically and continuously adapts to your skin
- It is the fastest IPL that offers of both legs no less than 5 minutes at the lowest energy level
- It is two times faster than the previous silk expert 5
What’s in the Package?
- Precision head
- Premium pouch
- Venus razor
Iluminage: Touch at Home Permanent Hair Reduction Device
The Elos technology combines intense pulsed light and radiofrequency energies to deliver the permanent hair reduction results you need safely, quickly, painlessly and effectively. It is powered by patented dual wave technology, the TOUCH permanent hair reduction system contains the only FDA cleared technology for permanent results on all skin tones.
The features of the Illuminage touch at-home permanent hair reduction device include;
- It is used by dermatologists around the world, it is clinically proven to be effective on the widest range of hair colours even on blonde, dark and red hair
- It significantly reduces the growth and appearance of body hair with the illuminage touch permanent hair reduction device.
- A precision adapter allows for use on all skin areas including the armpit.
- Reduces hair by up to 94% after 7 weeks of regular treatments.
Philips Lumea BG 9041 for Men, IPL Hair Removal Offering Permanently Smooth skin
The Philips Lumea BG 9041 is an IPL hair removal device is suitable for long-lasting hair removal on the entire body. After the pre-treatments, Lumea for men can be used on the arms, the underarms, the shoulders, abdomen as well as in the pubic area.
The IPL treatment using this device should be repeated every 4-8 weeks. It is fast and effective, the light pulses interrupt the growth cycle of the hair which means that after the first treatments successes can already be seen.
The features of the Philips Lumea are;
- It is an innovative light-based IPL technology interrupts the hair growth cycle
- Suitable for light to dark skin types with dark blondes, brown or black hair
- Designed for safe, effective and gentle application under the neck( arms, armpits, shoulder, abdomen, pubic area( except the scrotum bag) legs, chest and back
- 250,000 shots and 5 light intensity settings and intelligent skin tone sensor automatically adjust based on your skin tone.
What’s in the Package?
- 1 Philips IPL device
- 1 body attachment
- 1 power supply
- 1 storage bag
How to do laser hair removal at home
Shave the area
You need to first shave off your beard or any area you want. Always make sure there is no abrasions and bumps because this can be irritated by the laser.
Get the right attachment
You must get the right attachment before you start the hair removal, There are different types of attachment each of them are labeled. Choose the right attachment you want, the one for the face is different other attachment.
Set the laser to the level you want
This does not apply to all laser because some are done manually and some are done automatically when the machine is placed your skin. For the laser which is done automatically, what you need to do is to locate where the smart skin sensor is then placed follow the user guide.
You should note that it should be a few centimetres away from your skin, this enables the sensor to automatically scan and choose the level for you, then you press the confirmation button to lock it in.
If you are using a manual type of laser device what you need is just to figure out the smart skin sensor and set the level you want, when you press the confirmation button to lock it in.
Do a patch test
No one can say when the device can choose to work the other way or cause irritation, so for your own safety, you can first do a little patch test on your underarm.
Move the device along the specific area you want to concentrate on or on your beard. There some device which allows users to choose if they want the device to go automatically or manually. It is your choice to decide which one you wish to use. Slide the device to your next spot and keep doing this till you get the perfect result you want.
The Dos And Don’ts Of Laser Hair Removal
1. Shave in between treatments
The best way to remove hair without damaging the root is when you shave between treatments. Most beauty therapists do shave the area before they ahead applying the laser to your skin. This will enable them to see any hair that remains.
2. Avoid sun exposure and lay off the fake tan.
When your skin is pale it will make work easier for the laser by minimizing the efficiency if the laser and preventing all the energy from finding its way into the root of the hair. Most lasers are compatible with paler skin type.
3. Wear a high factor SPF
Most skins will become more sensitive to UV rays, so to protect from sensitivity and hyperpigmentation always slather in a high factor sunscreen.
4. Exfoliate the area gently
This enables the dead roots to fall out after every treatment which will result in your skin looking less shadowy and bumpy.
1. Do not apply heavy makeup for 24 hours
For complete 24 hours after your laser treatment avoid heavy make because this will prevent clogging the skin and causing a breakout. I understand that in some situations you may not have the choice than to apply this makeup but I will advise you to go for mineral types like Inika and bearMinerals or Iredale, this makes gives room for breathing
2. Do not replicate, or wax your hair in during treatments
Don’t try this because if you do it will remove the hair from the root. Lasers work perfectly well because they are attracted to hair’s pigment underneath the skin, once this has been rid off completely there won’t be anything there for the laser to zap. So when this happens, you will need to wait up to another four weeks so that the root can re-form again, it is after this you can treat yourself again.
Side Effects of Laser Method of Hair Removal Explained?
Come to think of it, it is rare to see people talking about the damage and negative results of the laser method of hair removal. Maybe they don’t want to discourage others from using it it is rare to see cases where the users get affected negatively. However, that does not mean the side effects should be neglected, and it is good to know so that it won’t be strange to you if one or two start to sho.
Redness and Irritation
Laser hair removal damages the follicles of the targeted hairs. The body reacts to this, and many people experience redness and irritation in the affected areas. The skin may tingle or feel tender, and may even appear to swell slightly.
The laser method of hair removal can get follicles damages. Then when the body reacts to this, it leads to redness and irritation of the affected area. At this stage, the skin may feel tender or tingle and may end swell up if no proper care is given to it. In a situation like yous should stay away from scratching it with any object or hand.
Note the reaction is a short time effect. The affected area may look like a skin that has just been waxed or plucked.
In some cases, the skin gets crusted. It is nothing to fear about, as it is a minor issue but can be inconvenient. If not properly taking care of can lead to scabbing or scarring. Taking care of the treated area immediately you are done can prevent this from happening such as by the use of sanitizers.
Changes in Skin Color
It is possible to notice minor color changes to the treated area of the skin. So, it may get slightly darker or lighter depending on your skin type and sensitivity, following the hair removal process.
Also, people with lighter skin can experience darker pigmentation while people with darker skin tones may be prone to lighter pigmentation. You should not get scared because of these changes, as they ten to fade away with time and the skin returns to normal.
Risk Of Skin Infection
Like every other method of hair removal that gets the hair follicles damaged, leaving it untreated can create skin infection. So, you need to treat the affected area as a wound until it gets healed. Also, make sure you report any sign of infection to a dermatologist.
There are also rare side effects that can only be experienced if the instructions provided are not being followed. One of the not too common side effects of laser method of hair removal is Burns and blisters that can only be experienced if the laser hair removal is not done correctly.
But in this case, being a Do It Yourself method, it is easy to get this but if you are too reconsider your decision and get a professional the chance is slim.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers on How to do laser hair removal at home
How often can you laser hair removal at home?
After around eight touches up treatments. You only need to use your device every six months to keep the area where hair was removed hair-free.
Can you use at-home laser hair removal in the pubic area?
Using laser hair removal on the pubic area can be painful due to high energy density. It is better to go for other alternative methods of hair removal.
Can I shave the day of laser hair removal?
Any tanning of the skin can result in pigmentation in the areas the hair was removed. On the day of the laser hair removal, you can shave your hair. Make sure to shave your beard hair with a clean new razor. By shaving the laser will be able to locate the follicles.
Does hair grow back thicker after laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal makes sure that hair does not grow back thicker. If regrowth does occur after the whole session, the hair is usually finer and less thick. And can easily be maintained with one treatment every six months.
What are the negatives of laser hair removal?
The majority of people who opted for laser hair removal find out that the method is safe and well-tolerated. No form of side-effects that seems to affect one health but does it all end there? It is definitely no.
Some people may experience minor side effects after the laser hair removal session. To be on a safer side, you should seek a professional hand instead of doing it at home.
Below are the possible side-effects:
- Redness and irritation
- Burns and blisters
- Risk of skin infection
- Eye injury
- Changes in Skin color
What should I expect after my first laser hair removal?
On your first laser hair removal, you might notice swelling and redness during the first few hours. Discomfort can be reduced by applying ice to the treated area.
Is It OK to pluck hair after laser?
Pluck of hair after laser hair removal is not recommendable because the skin must be left to heal from the treatment. You can start pluck and shaving of hair after the treated hair has fallen in order.
Can I tweeze after laser hair removal?
At the shedding stage of laser hair removal, your hair should not tweeze or pluck. Your hair can be shaved after the session but avoid anything that has to do with pulling hair from the root.
How long after laser hair removal will I see results?
When the results start showing depend on factors such as body system and effectiveness. Some will take 1 week while some take more than that.
Can I do laser hair removal by myself
You can do laser hair removal by yourself. It mustn’t be a professional job all the time. All you need is to follow the professional’s advice to get it done properly. You can watch Youtube videos on how to do laser hair removal by yourself. Many videos and instructions are out there to help you do laser hair removal appropriately.
How often should I do laser hair removal at home
Laser hair removal should be done at least once in a week and then be temporarily terminated after 3 treatments for a positive result. You must understand that home laser hair removal is not permanent but in the case of this very product above, you can expect longer results according to the manufacturers.
Is at-home laser hair removal painful?
Laser hair removal does not hurt as much as waxing, besides it is a way quicker compared to waxing. The pain is just like the sneezing of a cat or as a tiny pinprick. The pain you feel depends on the particular area you intend to remove the hair. A different area of our body has its level of stimuli.
Best laser removal you can use in 2020
Let’s talk about the best Laser hair removals you can use in the year 2020. You will fall in love with these laser hair removals, believe this.
Remington iLIGHT Pro
As recommended above, it is going to give you a very good result. It is good for you because it gives you that lasting permanent result when used. It removes close to 100 percent of your hair when used after 3 treatments and it has always been a good product you don’t want to lose.
DEESS Permanent Hair Removal
This is another good laser hair removal we recommend that you try. It doesn’t use a battery and the flash head is not necessarily replaced. It has good customer recommendation and through this, we were able to understand that it is a very good product you can actually try at home.
There are many other laser hair removals you can purchase on Amazon. Explore through our links for the best products.