Do ceramic clipper blades need to be oiled? Let’s find out.
Oiling ceramic clipper blades is very important. It is a known phenomenon that ceramic is used to sharpen steel, no wonder it is also important not to allow your ceramic cutter to dry out through the lack of oiling or spraying it with coolants.
Failure to oil or spray the ceramic will cause the cutting edges of the bottom blade to dull out. You know what it means when it happens that your clipper pulls your hair.
Do Ceramic Clipper Blades Really Need to be Oiled?
- 1 Do Ceramic Clipper Blades Really Need to be Oiled?
- 1.1 Do Ceramic Blades need sharpening after oiling
- 1.2 How long should a clipper blade last?
- 1.3 How often should you sharpen your ceramic blades?
- 1.4 How often should the clipper blade be changed?
- 1.5 Advantage of ceramic blades over others
- 1.6 Can you Oil Clipper blades before or after use?
- 1.7 Steel Blade or Ceramic Blade?
- 1.8 Andis Ceramic Clipper
- 2 Ceramic Cutting Edges and Blades best in the Market
- 3 Andis Stainless Steel Ceramic Edge Blade
- 4 Ceramic Blade Oil on Amazon
Oiling the ceramic clipper blade is very essential. Don’t hesitate to do so. The Ceramic blade may run cooler compared to other types but still, oiling them cannot be ruled out.
A ceramic is said to be a solid material which is made of an inorganic compound of metal or metalloid and non-metal through ionic or covalent bonds.
Examples of ceramic are earthenware, porcelain, and brick. In order to be able to focus more on the oiling and maintenance aspect, we have to concentrate on the subject of the matter. Let’s answer some questions along.
Do Ceramic Blades need sharpening after oiling
Since we can oil ceramic blades, you may want to know if it is also necessary to sharpen them.
Of course, you can sharpen ceramic blades.
How long should a clipper blade last?
Sometimes, the longevity of a clipper blade had to do with the user’s maintenance. However, generally speaking, a clipper blade when maintained, is expected to last for a period of three to six months.
How often should you sharpen your ceramic blades?
We recommend you sharpen the blades as soon as they become dull. That will maintain the performance as may be necessary. Although, ceramic materials are normally used in sharpening steels but when they become dull should be sharpened too.
Ceramic material normally is used in the sharpening of metals, likewise, the ceramic cutter on your blade does the same. This is the reason why you only have to sharpen it not too often. The fact remains that you can sharpen your ceramic blades.
Sometimes, if you notice that ceramic blades look dull, check to see if there are dirt-filled divots on the bottom side of the cutter.
In order to sharpen your beard clippers at home, you can easily remove them from the clippers and then run them along with a coarse honing stone. You can get the stone either at home or hardware store. Move the blade forward and backward on the stone until it becomes sharpened.
You can do this about ten times for a better result. Turn the blade over and repeat the same step above.
To sharpen hair clippers, remove the blade from the clippers and run it along with a 4000 grit coarse honing stone, which you can get at a home improvement or hardware store. Angle the blade and move it forward across the stone about 10 times until it’s shiny and even.
Turn the blade over and repeat on the other edge.
How often should the clipper blade be changed?
In order to achieve a good shave, at least a clipper blade should be changed every three months.
Advantage of ceramic blades over others
Advantages of Ceramic is that they don’t cause corrosion, and also run cooler than the other types of blades such as stainless or steel. They are known to maintain cooler temperatures of up to 75 percent compared to steel blades if you used them over long periods of time, the reason is that they conduct less heat compared to steel blades. Professional barbers prefer ceramic blades, for a smoother and faster cut.
Can you Oil Clipper blades before or after use?
It is important to oil ceramic blades before each use in order to maintain good performance and longevity. You need to oil it properly and one of the tips is that you should oil blades in a downward position.
Steel Blade or Ceramic Blade?
Let us look at the two types of blades used on clippers. It depends on what is suitable for you or a professional barber. Our work here is to compare for you to see. Every groomer can select what is suitable for him or her. With this in mind, we need to differentiate between steel and ceramic blades.
Here are some of the importance of steel blade
- They are the most popular type of blades used by professionals.
- They are known to be generally strong and reliable for users.
- They come in a range of costs to suit a range of budgets you have.
- They have a wide range of sizes available to suit your choice
- They are made in various quality of steel
- It can heat up with faster running clippers compared to ceramic blades.
- They can be converted to ceramic if need be.
Ceramic blades, on the other hand, are made of the following features:
- They are a little more expensive compared to steel blades
- They are made to keep their edge and sharpness longer
- They run cooler compared to steel blades
- They are ideal for faster running clipper such as Andis Super 2 Speed, Andis 2 Speed Excel SMC-2
- More fragile and breaks easier compared to steel blades.
Andis Ceramic Clipper
It is made of detachable blades that change out quickly and easily, and as a result, makes beard cleaning simpler. Andis clippers are also known for delivering a smooth cut finish compared to attachment combs.
Andis detachable blade clippers are available in corded and cordless options, whichever one you prefer, it is always your choice. It has been rated as one of the best by the consumers. This means, if you buy it, it will surely give you the perfect results you aspire.
Depending on your choice, you can choose a speed from 5 to 2 or a single speed option. It is recommended that you should use the lower speed for a situation that warrants a greater control, for instance, when cutting hair for children. If the hair is thick and coarse, use high speeds.
Ceramic Cutting Edges and Blades best in the Market
Let’s check on ceramic cutting edges too. They are very important especially when it is time to replace the former one. For instance, Madsharp, is one of the best ceramic replacement cutters. It is suitable especially for Oster Wahl clippers. It comes with the following features below:
- It is made from a high-tech ceramic material which aids it to stay sharper longer.
- It is designed in such a way that it can resist heat for cooler and more comfortable cutting and grip.
- It is associated with a Rockwell Hardness rating of 78, which makes it a good product to go for.
- It is designed to easily replace the small moving cutter blade.
- It can be used to upgrade steel blades to ceramic blades.
- It doesn’t give stress to replace the steel cutter of a steel blade with a ceramic cutter.
Andis Stainless Steel Ceramic Edge Blade
The product is quite OK for you. The features are simple and reliable. They will give you the result you need. Let’s look at the features together. It is made of ceramic edge stainless steel model, lather material is carbon-infused steel and ceramic.
Andis 40 Ceramic Edge Blade
It runs cooler and smoother, it is loved by all customers who have used it before now. You can testify that by reading the reviews under it. We recommend it for you due to the features it comes with. We assure you are going to enjoy this product because it performs very great.
4FC Ceramic Edge
This product is awesome, it is good for finishing cutting when attached to your clipper or trimmer. Just like being a ceramic edge, it runs cooler and smoother compared to steel blades. You need to try this blade edge and see for yourself.
Features & details
- It is a popular, Andis brand product
- It is designed to fit all a-5 type professional dog clippers
- Leaves 9mm of hair when used
- It is manufactured to be used for most body clipping
- Finish cut blade, leaving a smooth finish
Ceramic Blade Oil on Amazon
Let us look at the blade care oils on Amazon. These oils are good when it comes to the maintenance of our beard trimmer or clipper blades.
Andis Blade Care Plus
It is effective when applied to your clipper blade. It makes it run smoother and easier. It prevents your clipper blades from pulling the hair and as such is a very good product to recommend.
Here are some of the features to look at:
- This 7-in-1, Vitamin E enriched formula cools, deodorizes, lubricates, cleans, prevents rust and decontaminates the blades.
- Dip any of your detachable blades in the jar to rinse away hair, buildup debris and preservatives for your blade to perform better.
- In just seconds, this oil will wash away hair build-up and other accumulation in the clipper in order to leave your clippers neat and clean, lubricated, and cool for best performance
- This product comes in a 16-ounce dip, which is a great recommendation.
I hope you find this article useful. Looking forward to your feedback.